Drop Off/Pick Up
Students can be dropped off and picked up in front of our main entrance on Indiana Avenue. Please note Indiana Avenue is a one-way street. Please pull up to the curb on the left-hand side, encourage your student to exit/enter the car as promptly as possible, and then drive forward to allow room for the next family.
If you need to park and come into the school for any reason, please park on the right-hand side of the street or on one of of the neighboring side streets. We need to keep the curb in front of the school clear for drop offs and pickups.
Starting in 2017-18, all families who drop off and pick up their children will need to sign up for our program called Silent Dismissal that helps us dismiss students quickly and safely to the right person.
The nearest bus stop is at 118th St. and Michigan Avenue. A staff member accompanies a group of students to the bus stop at the end of the day.
We provide students with reduced-price Ventra cards for a fee of $2. Families can load money onto these cards for bus fare as needed. Students and families can purchase these cards in the main office between 7:30 a.m. - 8:00 a.m. or 3:45 p.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Students in transitional living situations are also eligible for additional transportation benefits. If you are wondering whether you are eligible, contact Ms. Kviz at the main office (773-536-9098).
We offer subsidized busing to our students, starting in school year 2017-18. Here are some details:
- We have neighborhood stops in the ranges of 1.5 miles to 3 miles away from our school, as is standard practice.
- The cost of the bus will be $3/day, so $15/week (prorated on shortened weeks). Balances will be charged monthly to student accounts and sent home on invoices. The first month’s bus fees will be due at the time of sign-up. Fees are based on the number of school days in each month, NOT on student attendance, as we cannot give a student's spot on the bus to another student only on days they are absent. (As with any other school fees, families concerned about their ability to pay should contact the main office at 773-536-9098 to discuss solutions.)
- As long as there is space, families may sign up for their child to ride the bus one-way and pay $1.50 per day, but bus riders going both ways get top priority, unless a one-way rider is willing to pay the full $3/day.
- Bus costs for the previous month will be added to each family's account at the start of the following month and will be sent home on invoices.
- We have spaces for about 25% of our students. Parents/guardians can sign up first-come, first-serve per the instructions below.
- We will keep a waitlist once the spaces are full. If there is extremely high demand, we will look into offering additional buses if funding allows. Students may also be offered bus spots off the waitlist if other students leave the school, do not pay their busing fees, or change their transportation plans.
- If we do not fill the buses with students in the mileage range, we will open up the buses to families that live closer, like 1-1.5 miles away.
- Students can lose bus privileges due to failure to meet bus-riding behavioral expectations.
Our busing provider is Transportation For All. Their phone numbers are (773) 291-9900, (773) 253-2775 and (773) 253-2750 and the dispatcher can also be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org if parents would like to contact them directly about any daily route issues.
Sign Up for Busing
If you'd like to sign your child up for our subsidized busing service, please take the following steps:
- View the Bus Routes and confirm you live close enough to a stop (they are 1.5-3 miles from the school)
- Email the following information to email@example.com:
- Your name
- Your student's name
- Your student's grade
- Which bus (Pride, Excellence, or Zest) and exact stop you would like to sign him/her up for
- If you have not done so already, come into the school to sign a copy of the Bus-Riding Agreement and obtain a copy to keep for yourself, or print out and return a signed copy from this link, or call 773-536-9098 to ask a copy be sent to you via mail or home with your student
- Look for the bus charges ($3/day) to be added to invoices for your student account balance monthly moving forward. Charges are done by days of school each month, not days of student attendance, so all students who ride the bus will pay the same monthly fee regardless of days personally attended or other shifting circumstances.
You will receive a confirmation when your student is signed up, or a notification that you're on the busing waitlist if the bus is full. We will update the Bus Routes regularly as needed, as we learn the actual route run times. You can also call to sign up your child at 773-536-9098 if you prefer, or if you have any questions.
Some families utilize private transportation companies for their students. We do not endorse any particular company, but the most popular one is TAC, which offers van pickup and drop off service daily. TAC’s fees are $40/week for one way and $65/week for two way. For more information, call TAC at 773-517-4525.
We can also help students set up car pools with other students who live nearby. If you are interested in finding someone to carpool with, please contact the main office at 773-536-9098.